Tuesday 2 October 2012

Project GreenLiving - Week 1 and the Dental Decisions

Dear readers,

   I have been waiting to give an update on my pet project GreenLiving. The first week has thrown a lot of questions. As I closely monitor my garbage, I see all kinds of things which I've been mindlessly throwing - toothpaste tubes, toothbrushes, aluminium foils (from packings), plastic covers that are used for package of food grains, broken rubber bands, gift wrappers, tetrapaks, milk covers, disposable diapers and etc. and etc. And then, the question of water that is wasted. So, how can I go about setting up a zero waste apartment?

  I decided to go about implementing the already solved questions first. So, here are the changes that I intend to make in the next few days/weeks.

 GL1: Set up a compost bin to handle the wet waste in the kitchen.
 GL2: Switch over to cloth diapers/nappy pads for AM. (I have already ordered some cloth diapers).

  Apart from these two major ideas that I plan to implement, I shall continue to monitor what goes into my garbage.





  I have been suffering from a decay in my tooth for the last 2 weeks. So, I switched over completely to Dasanakantichurnam, which has given me good relief. Some history first.
  
  After years of suffering toothache, in spite of brushing twice a day regularly, I was at my wit’s end. I tried a myriad range of toothpastes, in vain. My sinusitis was linked to the oral problems. To set them right, I’ve had about 5 root canal treatments. It was at this point in time that I started turning towards natural alternatives for a range of chemicals that we normally use at home without questioning. One fine day, I happened to read an article which suggested the use of Dasanakantichurnam, an ayurvedic powder made by Kottakkal Arya Vaidya Sala which can be used as a substitute for toothpastes. Initially, I was sceptical, but decided to try it out anyway. I have not regretted that decision. I was also happy that the chemicals in toothpastes can be avoided. Some of the chemicals that out tooth pastes contain (yes, even the kids’ tooth pastes) are very toxic. When I started my research on the chemicals that we use in day-today life, I was shocked to find that the sodium fluoride (that which the marketing wizards sell to us) in toothpastes is a potential toxic drug. Some contain parabens. And the horror is that our children sometime swallow them unknowingly.
  
  Dasanakantichurnam is an Ayurvedic Tooth powder. I bought the famous and authentic Kottakkal Arya Vaidya Sala’s boxed version. It is reddish brown tooth powder with a stinging (clove-like taste). It is messy to use if you’re not used to brushing with a tooth powder. It stains the brush, wash basin, but fortunately not the teeth. Ideally use your index finger to brush (yes, so that you don't find a tooth brush in your garbage - two in one). I'm also planning to try out "neem sticks".  

  I decided to call this goal of good health through natural means as Project GoodHealth. Here are my goals in the next few weeks for this project.
 GH1: Replace chemical-based cleaners  with harmless stuff, not compromising on the quality of cleanliness.
 GH2: Find a solution for purifying water without losing out on the essential minerals.
  
  Currently, we have a RO (Reverse Osmosis) purification system. I want to replace this because, RO removes most of the essential salts in water and hence long-term usage of this system affects the immunity/resistance. I am experiencing this. So, what are the alternatives?

Happy thinking about alternatives!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment